Mission

Welcome to this blog which is dedicated to providing a forum for a civil discourse on a variety of issues to try and make our society a truly better place for all. While the views expressed are strictly my personal opinions, please feel free to join in on these conversations accepting the premises that every attempt will be made to ensure that nothing but the truth be spoken and the truth be heard.




Sunday, August 8, 2010

Political Static Kill

Unlike previous posts, this one will invoke personal privilege to set the record straight regarding a recent political pursuit of mine.  This past week I had planned to file for the Little Rock Board of Directors-Ward 3, a position I formerly held from January 1, 1999, through December 31, 2002.  The decision to do so was based on my belief that the current incumbent was not going to run again.  Accordingly, I obtained the necessary papers at City Hall on Tuesday, which was immediately picked up by the press, and began seeking the necessary signatures of friends and neighbors on the required petitions to file with the City Clerk.     

However, the situation took a significant turn two days later when I learned that she was, in fact, running for re-election, a fact that I then personally confirmed with her.  Obviously, had I made that call in the very beginning, an oversight for which I apologized directly, none of this would have happened.  Subsequent conversations with my wife and others whose judgment I value and trust prompted me to then reconsider my decision to seek this office.  In addition to all of the known challenges of running against an incumbent, there was the added risk that such a campaign might create an awkward dilemma for many of our mutual friends who live in the same neighborhood.  Those situations benefit no one.  

Therefore, I am today formally announcing my personal version of "static kill" (which we all know is the method used to finally seal the blown-out oil well in the gulf) to plug my effort to run for the City Board, and thereby stem the flow of any rumor, speculation and misinformation regarding my intentions.  In so doing I want to sincerely thank my friends and neighbors who signed those petitions and offered words of encouragement for this brief adventure, but now is definitely not the time.  No doubt there will be many other opportunities in the future for me to engage in my passion for public service. 

In the meantime I've got this blog to keep me busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment